Friday, January 2, 2015

D(O)UB(T) status report

So, I've reached the New Year, which is always a crucial time in my view when considering the progress (and general "health") of an album project. Whatever is in good nick at the turn of the year gets worked on to completion - whatever isn't in good shape gets dropped.

So, what's the story with D(O)UB(T), then?

According to the spreadsheet that I've used to log progress on the album, I've started work on a total of 28 tracks. That's way too much for an album. I have no idea of what the current total running time would be for those tracks, but I'd say we're talking north of 90 mins. So, in reality, I have plenty of tracks to spare for inclusion as non-album tracks in a number of promotional EPs. At this stage, there will be at least two EPs - possibly even three. I may also keep a few tracks back for inclusion on netlabel submissions, should I be asked for material.

Still, 28 tracks, eh? What's the story with them?

A total of 8 tracks have been mixed and mastered and are considered complete. These are mostly, but not exclusively, ambient/experimental electronic tracks. The really good tracks will feature on the album - I plan to sequence tracks in triplets - fast/slow/ambient-y - lather/rinse/repeat. Those that aren't quite up to snuff will feature ether as EPs tracks or compilation tracks.

The tracks in question are:-


  • A ACCIDENT
  • A PLAGUE ON BOTH MY HOUSES
  • COMPLICATIONS FROM A FALL
  • I AM A SHADOW OF YOUR FORMER SELF
  • THE BOOK OF PASSWORDS
  • THE NEW NUMBER TWO
  • WATCHING THE NEWS WITH THE SOUND OFF
  • FLOATY FLOATY
I need to "dub-up" 4 tracks. By "dub-up", I mean I need to program/automate various dub effects. Once that has been done, the tracks will be ready to mix/master

These tracks are:-


  • ACCENTS
  • HELICOPTER SHOTS OF THE CITY
  • NEVER HAD IT TO LOSE IT
  • UNWINNABLE CAPTION COMPETITION
ACCENTS will probably feature on an EP, but the others should make the album. We'll see... I'll start work on these tracks over the next few days and I hope to have them finished by the end of this month, taking account of a lengthy roadtrip I have planned in a few weeks time.

The remainder of the tracks need a bit more work, including (variously) writing and recording lyrics/vocals, tracking some additional audio and the almost-inevitable "dub-up". One or two of the tracks will probably not make the album, but should feature elsewhere.

These tracks are:-


  • CHOKING ON DRY BREAD
  • ME AND THE FLY
  • EVERYBODY CALLS ME DARREN
  • FCA BOOTS
  • I CAN EXPLAIN...EVERYTHING
  • I CHOOSE INDECISION
  • IS EVERYBODY HAPPY YET?
  • IYE
  • MARE NOSTRUM
  • MY TROUBLES ARE AS NOTHING COMPARED TO YOURS
  • STILTWALKER IN THE WIND
  • THIS IS GOING TO TAKE, LIKE, FOREVER
  • TROPES AND MEMES
  • YOU HAVE MY HEART SCALDED
  • YOU'LL NEVER MISS YOUR MOTHER TILL THE WELL RUNS DRY
  • GOMORRAH
(Phew - that makes 28 tracks in total - I can count...).

So, on that basis, I have 20 tracks to finish between now and the summer. As I said above, I'll do the "dub-up" tracks first, and then I'll work on ME AND THE FLY, which will be the lead track on the first EP. The track itself won't feature on the album, but the dub version of it, CHOKING ON DRY BREAD, will.

I have set myself a bit of a challenge, but it's all very do-able within the timescale.

In relation to which tracks actually make the final cut, I am conscious of the fact that some tracks may be very similar to each other. I certainly don't want to feature two such tracks in close proximity to each other, and the plan is that one would go on the album and the other would go on an EP or compilation.

I'd better get cracking on this so...;-).

Regards,


djp

No comments:

Post a Comment